For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Network Rail Infrastructure Limited.
Information we may collect
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you provide by entering your details on our site www.networkrail.co.uk (including sub-domains and any related websites) (our site); this includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service, posting material, requesting further services or leaving comments or complaints; we may also ask you for information when you report a problem to us.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to our site including but not limited to traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data and the resources that you access.
- From time to time Network Rail may publish vouchers on our site from third party retailers offering special offers or discounts on their goods or services. In order to obtain the vouchers you will have to register your details. Except as set out here we will not pass your personal information to any third parties, including the retailers providing these vouchers, without your consent.
- We may collect information about your computer including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration to assist continuous improvement of our site. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
What we do with your personal information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with details of products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
How we store your personal information
All information you provide to us via our site is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal information we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries (as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006).
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Network Rail Infrastructure Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by it about its users will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms of website use and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Network Rail Infrastructure Limited and/or any of its group companies, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection.
We may also use your personal information, or permit selected third parties to use your personal information, to provide you with details about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post or telephone, email or other electronic means. We will only do this in circumstances where you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way.